Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sworn Truth

I promise to tell the whole truth, and thus will admit that I have not gone as low as I'll probably ever go. Recently, however, I was asked (at the last minute, of course) to accompany a well-intentioned but still very amateur chanteuse at a birthday/anniversary party. She sang a Shania Twain song to her husband (and the dozen or so invited guests). On arriving at the party, I was ushered into the kitchen (so as not to raise any suspicions--accompanists must be heard, never seen) and offered a glass of champagne. How considerate, I thought, just as the glass was whisked from my hand. (!) Sorry, the hostess explained, there were not quite enough champagne glasses to go round. (I mentioned that the song was a Shania Twain pop hit, didn't I? Ugh.) After the lovely performance (followed by an impromptu, on-demand "happy birthday") I dashed into the kitchen to grab my jacket and, feeling wholly justified, snatched a handful of proscuitto-wrapped, goat cheese stuffed figs off a silver tray near the door. The hostess' husband gave me a dirty, withering look. I felt no guilt. No guilt whatsoever. (We will not speak of the pitiful compensation.)

3 Comments:

My grandfather was a musician who also played the piano. I lost count how many times his eyebrows slanted when he had to "accompany" a friend at a party.

Thank you for the memory.

--ted rogers

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 7:25 PM  

What a funny story! You were completely justified in taking those figs. :)

--Sophia

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 7:25 PM  

Excerpt: Over at "Twang Twang Twang" Helen Radice shares a great story and asks us "So c'mon, you serious musicianly aesthete bloggers - how far will you go?" Read the whole thing and you'll know what she's talking about.

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home