Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Letting Go

I'm delighted to announce that my music will be heard in New York City next weekend! I feel a little bit like a mother, though, in that "my music" is flying from the nest and debuting before any performance from my piano fingertips. Composing is a recent activity for me, and now I'm sending that precious cd off with Paufve Dance for their run at the Joyce SoHo? I'm fraught with anxiety: what is the sound system like, what if someone pushes play and my piece is too quiet, or too loud, and which would be worse? Just go, just go, and give my little babies a listen (I created music--in garage band, no less--for two of The Big Squeeze's vignettes) and then let me know what you think!

5 Comments:

How exciting! Congrats.

By Blogger ACB, at 12:00 AM  

Hi Heather,
I came here from a post on Disquiet and enjoyed the 2& mp3s featured on the 2& webpage a lot.
I am delighted by In The Wings, especially considering you also perform Ives' songs on the piano (I'm a fan of his songs) and use a perfect french for some posts. For a french reader, it feels good, as you can guess. I still have to explore the previous entries of your blog and discover your multiple activities.
Keep on the good work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

Garageband is certainly not a toy. It's a simplified version of Logic Express. When Apple bought the German company Emagic, they bought it for their sound engine, which is now the basis for not only Garageband, but Soundtrack and Final Cut Pro.

It does have its limitations. Even so, you can do quite a lot with it before they find you.

And I understand your anxieties around performance of "your music" in an environment you have no control over. After spending months working on a piece for Kate Mitchell's dance company (using Reason 3.0 and Logic Express), the performance was ruined when the left speaker at ODC went dead 5 minutes into the piece. And there was nothing I or anyone could do, but listen to the remaining 40 with just one speaker. All those subtle spatial effects ... gone.

Sigh. Like breaking a string, or a pedal, I guess. Think of it as another piece. One of many possibilities.

--richard friedman

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 7:00 PM  

Congratulations!

--Derrick Schneider

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 7:01 PM  

The interesting thing about Garageband is that even though it is marketed as entry level digital music software, in fact the technology behind, the engine running that machine is extraordinarily complex and pretty advanced. If they could have made something like Garageband at IRCAM in the 70's, the champagne corks would have been popping all over the Centre Pompidou.

--Roddy Schrock

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home