Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Folksong

The Handsome Butcher

Seven locks upon the red gate, seven gates about the red town
In the town there lives a butcher and his name is Handsome John Brown
In the town there lives a butcher and his name is Handsome John Brown

John Brown's boots are polished so fine,
John Brown's spurs they jingle and shine
On his coat a crimson flower, in his hand a glass of red wine
On his coat a crimson flower, in his hand a glass of red wine

In the night, the golden spurs ring, in the dark, the leather boots shine
Don't come tapping at the window, now your heart no longer is mine

Don't come tapping at the window,
now your heart no longer is mine

4 Comments:

Hungarian folk songs! I love it!

By Blogger Tom Morrisey, at 8:12 PM  

I sang this song in High School...

I wish I could get the SATB sheet music for it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

Hello Heather

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this and for the link to the sheet music. I heard my daughter's choir sing it many years ago and often hear it in my head.

Thanks again
nick

http://www.myspace.com/fredericknicholas

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM  

Thanks for providing the words of this lovely song, which I've heard on a couple of occasions but never quite got them all!

--Christine

By Blogger Heather Heise, at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home